Tuesday 4 May 2010

Student Female National Champion 2010!


We has the BUCS championship the past weekend at Calshot. It involved a lot of racing on Saturday on Imco's and a 7.5 mainly, then team racing Sunday. We arrived Friday for a freestyle session as it was pretty windy. Pretty good but we had to sail around the whole spit chasing deeper water as the tide was going out. After a few drinks with registration on Friday night, we woke up early Saturday for the full day racing. Starting on an Imco and 7.5 in light winds I was doing fine. Then the wind picked up and combined with massive spring tides dragging everyone upwind, I just could not make the board go downwind! I changed down to a techno, managed another course race very over powered, then changed down to 6.5 for the slalom. Much more fun, but typically wind died off as I had changed down.
Saturday night we had an epic boat party with 'sea' theme, so Southampton uni all went as Navy sailors. We continued the party in a hangar afterwards with DJ Crowdy and Yates with a drum and base set...
Sunday morning everyone was hungover and it was raining so it took alot of effort to put a wetsuit on and do the team racing. It was great fun though as it was pretty windy but pretty cold being northerly.
Finally prize giving at the end and I won overall as female champion (this was a culmination of the year's racing, freestyle and wave, so I was pretty chuffed), and I also won the girls racing for BUCS too! I now have a nice mast for sale to cover the cost of my 3.4 sail for Pozo.
Amazing weekend and absolutely shattered afterwards!
The freestyle is above. More photos of racing and party to come when I can get hold of them!

Also a link to the boards article below:
Boards Nationals Article

No comments:

Post a Comment